|By PR Newswire||
|April 7, 2016 11:30 AM EDT|
WASHINGTON, April 7, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- During the month of April, the Beer Institute along with brewers and beer importers will recognize Alcohol Awareness Month and mark the significant progress being made in reducing underage drinking.
"The Beer Institute along with brewers and beer importers are deeply committed to responsibility," said Jim McGreevy, Beer Institute President and CEO. "As we approach spring and milestone moments like proms and graduation celebrations, we encourage parents to take advantage of the resources we've developed to help them, such as downloadable e-books and guides that help them talk with their children about alcohol."
According to a landmark study sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and released in December 2015, alcohol use by the nation's teens continues its long term decline.
The University of Michigan's Monitoring the Future study reported that there have been declines in both past month drinking and binge drinking among 8th, 10th and 12th graders including reaching new record lows for both 10th grade and 12th grade past month drinking and binge drinking.
"The findings of this study are encouraging, especially for our industry, which is committed to the prevention of underage drinking," said Joy Dubost PhD RD, Sr. Director of Science & External Affairs, Beer Institute. "However, we know that our work and the work of others must continue. We are committed to working with schools, parents, law enforcement, and local leaders to help ensure these rates continue to decline to further reduce underage drinking."
The three grades combined (8, 10 and 12) showed a further decline in the proportion of students reporting any alcohol use in the 12 months preceding the survey (annual prevalence) and also in the 30 days preceding the survey (30 day prevalence). In addition, in 2015, these rates are at 40 percent and 22 percent, respectively—the lowest levels seen since the study began.
Further, binge drinking (having five or more drinks in a row on one or more occasions in the prior two weeks) also declined significantly in 2015.
Beer Institute members have invested in hundreds of programs and initiatives to support public safety, education and prevention, including those aimed at reducing underage drinking. These initiatives are outlined in a white paper, "Commitment to Responsibility."
The Beer Institute is a national trade association for the American brewing industry, representing both large and small brewers, as well as importers and industry suppliers. First founded in 1862 as the U.S. Brewers Association, the Beer Institute is committed today to the development of sound public policy and to the values of civic duty and personal responsibility: www.BeerInstitute.org. Connect with us @BeerInstitute and on Facebook.
Monitoring the Future is an ongoing study of the behaviors, attitudes, and values of American secondary school students, college students, and young adults. Each year, a total of approximately 50,000 8th, 10th and 12th grade students are surveyed (12th graders since 1975, and 8th and 10th graders since 1991). The Monitoring the Future Study has been funded under a series of investigator-initiated competing research grants from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a part of the National Institutes of Health. MTF is conducted at the Survey Research Center in the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/beer-institute-brewers-beer-importers-recognize-alcohol-awareness-month-300247904.html
SOURCE Beer Institute
- Mesosphere DC/OS Delivers Cloud-Agnostic Fast Data and Flawless Production Operations
- Major Educational Content Providers And Distributors Join Together To Fight Counterfeit Textbooks
- ThoughtSpot Announces Record Year with 270 Percent Growth in Customers
- [email protected]: Experience How IBM is Making with Watson at the IBM Makers' Garage at SXSW - March 10-14
- Embedded Analytics Market by Tool, Business Application, Deployment, Vertical, and Region - Global Forecast to 2021
- Global FinTech Marketplace: Technologies, Applications, and Services 2017 - 2022
- Latest Release of Industry Leading Oracle Database Now Available in the Cloud, with Oracle Cloud at Customer, and On-Premises
- Cisco and IBM Speed Digital and Cloud Transformation with Expanded VersaStack Offerings
- PostgreSQL Community Leader Bruce Momjian to Deliver Webinar with IBM on Open Standards for Digital Transformation
- Safeguard Scientifics Announces Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2016 Financial Results
- SlamData Secures $6.7MM Series A to Support Modern Data in the Enterprise
- At 10+% CAGR, Smart Grid Security Market Potentially Worth $7.00 Billion by 2021 Led by IAM Solution
- At 24+% CAGR, Thin Film and Printed Battery Market Potentially Worth $1.25 Billion by 2022 Led by Thin Film Batteries
- Hydrogen Drone Now in its Second Generation: Introducing HyDrone 1800
- U.S. Census Bureau Daily Feature for February 19: Engineering Week
- EnterpriseDB Sets New Standard for Digital Business with Release of the EDB Postgres Platform 2017
- Smart Grid Security Market Worth 6.99 Billion USD by 2021
- AT&T Mobility, Communications Workers of America Agree to Extend Orange Contract; Negotiations Continuing
- Solar Farm Corporation "Offering for Sale" 3.7GW's of High Return Projects
- Chengdu Hi-tech Industrial Development Zone (Chengdu Hi-tech Zone) Invests USD 730 Million to Attract Global Talents
- Summit Strategies a Leading Technology Analyst Recognizes Smart Online as a Top Vendor in Software-as-Services Market
- Mdhuset Announces Real Estate Listings on Telefonkatalogen.biz Website
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- Pacific Office Automation San Mateo Outlines Rationale for Streamlining Workflow Processes
- Eliot Harris Announces Campaign to Sell Your House in Marble Falls
- Isolator Fitness Announces Reviews and Continued Availability of ISOBAG and Related Products
- Ray Harding, Former Judge, Announces Arbitration Services In Utah
- United Credit Consultants™ Is a Leader Nationally in the Business Credit Industry With Their Business Credit Solutions™ Program
- Modern construction practices prioritize safety with mandatory risk mitigation measures in buildings
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins